Re: [opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:03:38 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 20 March 2008 14:12, debayan wrote:
> Randall, i meant does the OS fork off new processes/threads for each
> IP to be scanned? I know the shell forks off new processes. I am just
> asking about the working of the ping command, especially the
> broadcast part .... infact i will go through the source code just to
> be sure.

I don't believe the standard ping command can operate on multiple
destination IPs at once.

Randall,

New to me as well, but in my office network "ping -b 10.0.1.255"
causes a lot of responses.

I would guess that ping has 2 threads. A sender and a receiver thread.

No, there are no threads, processes or signal handlers involved
(actually there are signal handlers in use, but not for this purpose)

It simply sends out an ICMP request, and then it looks in the OS buffer
to see which requests have been received, and prints them out.

If you get more requests than you have place for in the buffer, they
will be lost

Anders