Re: [opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:36:06 +0100
debayan wrote:
No, i am just broadcasting the packet that the game client broadcasts to
find a server. I use a packet sniffer to see what each game sends in the
packet.

That's not ping. And whether or not your program is multi threaded,
that's something you'll have to tell us.

But now I think you meant if the actual operating system code that sends
out your packets to the network is multi threaded. And the answer is
yes, it is. Almost the entire kernel is multi threaded. This is why you
have "locks" all over the place. You only need locks when you're doing
multi threaded programming

But it's not threaded in the way you seem to imply. There isn't one
thread per address you're talking to (and by the way, the broadcast
address is one single address - the kernel doesn't break it up and send
one packet to each 'real' address when you send to broadcast. That
breakup gets done by the switch). It is multi threaded in the sense that
the networking stack can work in parallel to other parts of the kernel
and user space.

Anders