Re: [opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: debayan <debayanin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:47:20 +0530
Will keep that in mind. Thanx a lot.
On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:13 -0400, Sam Clemens wrote:
debayan wrote:
Hmmmm, thats a guru talking. Yes you are correct. I was not aware of the
poor windows context switching in specific. Forking off separate
processes is fine. By the way, do you think the idea is good? Actually
whether it is accepted or not, we(http://groups.google.com/group/lugsdu)
shall work on it anyways.

I think the overall project is a good idea.
I just think that using threaded code for this particular
problem is more trouble than it's worth.

If you REALLY want to work on threaded code...which is also
appropriately threaded... there are sections of the kernel
which are threaded....find an old computer that someone is
getting rid of, and play around with modifying those sections
of the kernel.

First rule of programming:
Decide on your project... THEN decide on the programming
techniques to use to implement the project.

In my college days, that's the strategy employed by my
Electrical Engineering professors. In contrast, my
Computer Science profs were generally.... lets just
say they would teach a programming technique, and then
assign projects for which the programming technique
required was usually one of the worst ways to implement
the project.

To choose your programming technique before even choosing
a problem to solve is, as they say, "putting the cart
in front of the horse."