[opensuse] GSOC 2008
  • From: debayan <debayanin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:57:36 +0530
I am one of those guys trying to spread Linux in the college. I managed
to create a local repository
(http://lug.nitdgp.ac.in/mukti/repository/ ) which has helped, but most
of my friends do not want to switch to Linux because they would not want
to miss the games they play on Windows such as CounterStrike and Age of
Empires. So i began writing this program which scans the network every 1
minute or so for online game servers, and gives a popup alert in the
taskbar and gives info such as number of players online, IP address of
the server and the map that is on the server.
Though quite simple to implement and somewhat lame, its surprising how
effective it was in bringing new people to Linux.
I want to do this as a GSOC project. Want to add as many games as
possible. Will implement multiple scans using threads. I also envisage
adding features such as chatting on the game server. Would also like to
add a Gtk+ frontend. Skill required is C/C++ and sockets APIs. What do
you guys think? Is it a nice idea, or do i need to scratch my head more?
(I hope this mail is not too long)
--
Debayan Banerjee
NIT Durgapur, West Bengal, India