Re: [opensuse] Sony USB Music Player S/W
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:09:49 +0100
> I would say its likely that such a device uses some form of cryptography
in the "special software", but
> you could try by installing the software on Windows, copying a file to the
device, then copy it back via
> Linux, and see what you can make of it.

The Sony MP3 player uses a special custom media encoding known only to
Sony. I have/had one of these players... bought without doing the
research first. I spent some time trying to decipher the format... it
looks to my unprofessional eyes to be a simple reencoding of MP3,
but.. what exactly.. who knows. Thing is, it's not just the software
you need to communicate with the Sony, it is also the reencoding so
that they player recognizes the media file and will play it.

That is surely an option. But, I have an iPod too, and I found gtkPod
for Linux to synch my iPod (sort of iTunes for Linux), apart from that
there are plugins for Amarok for such things. I was hoping if there
similar open source stuff to help out here.

Right, but iPods work fine with MP3 (in addition to the AAC format).
So.. Amarok etc are able to simply copy the MP3 to the iPod and then
update the iPods database entries. In the case of the Sony, you would
have to convert to Sony's proprietary format first... a closed secret
format.

The only way I found to add music to my Sony was to boot to Windows,
or run Windows from a VMWare instance and use the Sony software. I
have iPods now... they work fine.

C.