Re: [opensuse] Starting a Java application
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:12:48 +0200

when you issue your command. Or can you tell me the absolute paths
of these two jars (beginning with "/")?

I am in the "genj" directory. The jar files are in a subdirectory
of "genj" called "lib". Thus I reference e.g. the file "genj.jar"
as "./lib/genj.jar". I think that is correct.

You could confirm that by entering the command:

% ls -l ./lib/genj.jar ./lib/jhbasic.jar

The files are there. I can see them. They are also in the right place.

Rather than knock my head against a brick wall, I've chosen to bite the
bullet and download the new (one week old) release. I've installed it,
and this has been painless ... right to the end. It left an icon on the
desktop, so I don't even have to do that.

Clicking on the icon brings up the exasperating announcement
that: "KDEInit cannot
launch '/usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0_update14/jre/bin/javaw'".

That is indeed where Java lives, but there is no file called "javaw" in
that directory. Even more surprising, <find -name "javaw"> doesn't find
anything on the system. (I ran that as root, from /).

What does one do?

Do other Java applications work OK on the same system that fails to
launch this one?

Yes, they do.

--
Stan Goodman