Re: [opensuse] Permission problem while accessing a folder mounted with CIFS
  • From: Alexander Winizki <awinizki@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:44:37 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten this. CIFS tries to use LOCAL management
of permissions, that is, the machine doing the mount attempts to tell the
server the permissions to use, and since the user logged in on the
mounting machine has a different userid than root on the server
it does not work.

You have to add the options noacl,noperm, to the mount command to tell
CIFS that it should allow the SERVER to manage permissions.

I often mount samba shares this way in /etc/fstab: (its one long line
- bound to wrap here:

//server/share /mnt cifs
auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1003,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,ip=192.168.0.1,noacl,noperm,nocase,credentials=/root/creds
1 2

man mount.cifs explains noperms
I have already worked through the mount.cifs man page trying out all the options - no use. My last attempt was:
bigblue:/ # mount -t cifs //dreambox/harddisk /mnt/dreambox --verbose -o user=root,password=******,noperm,domain=minander,uid=0,gid=0,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noacl,rw

I am always able to mount the folder and list the directory contents, but trying to read a file results in no permission.
Another thing that I have noticed is that specifying a wrong password does not produce an error message - the
results seem to be the same as when I specify the correct one.
Recently I found out that there is a mailing list specially for the mount.cifs module. So I will try my luck there.
I will still be thankful if somebody