Re: [opensuse] Starting a Java application
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:04:56 +0200
On Monday 17 March 2008 20:28:44 you wrote:
Are filenames case-sensitive in OS2? This is an issue I had to handle
a few times when moving code from windows to linux. On WinXP it is
often irrelevant whether file names are in upper/lower. Linux is more
picky about this.

They are not in OS/2, but I know that Linux is different. That's why I
said that the spellings and cases are correct.

2008/3/17, Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
** Reply to message from Thomas Schmidt <tschmidt@xxxxxxx> on Mon, 17
Mar 2008 18:17:54 +0100

> Stan Goodman schrieb:
> > I have been using this Java app for many years under OS/2, and
> > want now to run it in openSuSE.
> >
> > The starting command that I have been trying to use (from a
> > terminal, in the application's own directory) is:
> >
> > <java -cp ./lib/genj.jar:./lib/jhbasic.jar genj.app.App>
> >
> > The two jar files are what I know to be required to run this
> > application, and they are just where they should be; spelling
> > and case are correct. The jar files have three "r"s in their
> > permisisons. Yet running this command yields only the exception
> > warning:

> > genj/app/App
> >
> > I must be doing something wrong, but I don't see what.
>
> It seems that neither of the 2 libraries contains the Class
> genj.app.App which you are trying to call.
> Greetings

No. That is why I mentioned at the beginning that I have been using
this application for many years. Those two jars are the only ones
around. To try to call it under Linux, I tried to translate the OS/2
instruction (which works!) to Linuxese according to information I
found on the Web. To be clear, in OS/2, the classpath is
<f:\genj\lib\genj.jar;f:\genj\lib\jhbasic.jar>, and the command is
<java genj.app.App>. To me, this looks a lot like what I am trying to
do in the Linux case above.

Under OS/2, I used quite a few Java applications. What I have seen
is that the NoClassFoundError is pretty much a general purpose thing
that can happen when virtually anything triggers it. I am hoping that
someone more knowledgeable than me can detect what is triggering it
now, because I just don't see it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on