Re: [opensuse] Linux & Lantronix serial-to-ethernet-device.
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:18:38 +0100
Rui Santos schreef:

Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hello,
Hi,
Socat can be used a serial to serial over ethernet, serial to ethernet, ethernet to serial, etc, etc, etc... and this is just on serial-like devices use...
Socat is one of the most versatile tools I know...
What is the exact application you intend to give it ? The problem with socat is that, if you want to access a serial device, on the other end, you also need a socat binary running there... If you have a networked device on the other end, than you can do it with only one socat.

I have an application using a serial port to talk to some device. Unfortunately that device is located in another building so cabling is a problem.
I have a box from Lantronics that has a serial port and a WiFi-connection. I need to figure out how exactly things work but I made a "sniff" and basicly everything going to a certain ethernet port of the box gets transmitted to the serial port. Everything received at the serial port is transmitted to another ethernet-port to some ethernet address.
So I want the application to talk to a "virtual serial port" made available by socat (or something else) which takes care of transforming the communication to ethernet. The Lantronicx-box should take care of transforming back to rs232.
I hope this is clear enough.
Thanks anyway for the reply.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,