Re: [opensuse] Lightscribe
  • From: Jerry Houston <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:25:36 -0700
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
I also have Lightscribe drive here.

There is no good programs for Lightscribe for Linux. There is one very
basic program that can draw texts, but that's all. There are no
programs that can draw graphics.

To have full Lightscribe experience I use Windows XP+Nero 6 Ultra
Edition+Lightscribe plugin.

The www.lightscribe.org site also has a graphical "template" version
available, with lots of libraries of images, all free. Interestingly,
the image libraries are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, although
the template label utility is only available for Windows. The images
should work with any of the utilities that can use a background image,
though.

As you mentioned, the LightScribe Simple Labeler utility does text only,
but it beats a Sharpie pen, and it's relatively fast. The Linux version
is identical to the Windows version, so far as I can tell. Note that
you can use the system software to select faster (lighter text) or
darker text (takes longer) burning.

I understand that LaCie may also have Linux support available, although
I haven't had time to look there yet. Now that I'm reminded, I think
I'll check their website today.

Jerry in Bothell, WA