[opensuse] BUGs in 10.3: swap not possible on /dev/md0, etc
  • From: "Antryg Revok" <AntrygRevok@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:51:44 -0400
1. Install into md raid-1 is boshed, because the immediate-update changes grub
to root=/dev/sda3 instead of root=/dev/md2

Therefore, the next boot bombs, when fsck tries to grab the raid-1 "/" fs that
is *under* the /dev/md2 that is loaded as root.

2. Install into md raid-1 is boshed also, because swap apparently CANNOT be set
up on raid-1!

Yes swap on raid-1 has been done in Linux for years, and there's even a howto
in the opensuse help database on it, but
mkswap /dev/md0 fails.
error?
mkswap: error: swap area needs to be at least 40kB
the buggeredness of that?
it's a 4GB raid-1!

( I NEED this particular machine to not need maintenance or be brittle, for
long periods of time -- which is half of why MS-Windoze isn't on-the-metal on
it! )

3. install-system needs to get some brains:
IF one is installing into md raid-1, then either/any of the component physical
partitions can be seen as a normal reiser/ext3 partition/filesystem, so
therefore it is mistaken to *permit* mount-by-label.
The labels can be read on the physical partitions!
Therefore one has to use /dev/md0 /dev/md1 /dev/md2
Also, one cannot use
/dev/md/0 /dev/md/1
( as I discovered when grub had been auto-switched to /dev/sda3 etc by YaST2
update in the install-reboot )
because /dev/md/1 etc apparently aren't real.

That's it for now ( there are other issues, but I *NEED* the swap issue fixed,
pronto )

Thanks in advance, if anyone can figure-out a fix. . .

-Antryg