Re: [opensuse] Installed new hard disk to install Opensuse 10.3, how to add the old one (9.2)?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:29:40 +0100
Ronald Wiplinger schreef:
I had installed on a new hard disk (SATA) Opensuse 10.3 on an AMD64. It
works!

Now I need to get all the old settings from the old hard disk (IDE), and
till I am finished with the transition, I would like to be able to boot
either old or new system.
The first problem I had was that the BIOS used IDE as first boot and so
it only booted the new system. I could change that and the BIOS uses
SATA as the first boot drive.
When I tried to boot the old system with the SATA (SuSE 10.3) as first
boot drive, SuSE 9.2 did not boot, just stopped.

I believe it is just a GRUB settings. I never messed with GRUB. Can you
give me a hint how to do that? Or could it be another problem, or do you
have another suggestion?

bye

Ronald

Most likely the name of the drive and partitions are not correct anymore.
Are you able to mount the 'old' drive?
That way you can access the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and see what entrance is used.
Than you check your /etc/fstab to see how the 'old' drive is called now.
The partition number which points to your 'old' system, should be used in the grub you use, probably the new one.
So you take (copy) all info from your 'old' menu.lst, change the partitionnumber, and past it into your new grub.
If done correct, dual boot should be possible.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (Now or never...)

Besturingssysteem: Linux 2.6.24.1-6-default x86_64
Current user: oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
System: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha2
KDE: 4.0.2 (KDE 4.0.2) "release 8.1"