Re: [opensuse] firefox mplayer plugin stealing data files
  • From: "John Andersen" <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:35:38 -0700
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Dave Howorth
<dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just tried to open a text file that has a .dat extension in firefox.
Instead, the mplayer plugin starts up.

I've looked in the download actions dialog and it says mplayer should
handle MP2, MPGA and FLI files. It doesn't show anything handling .DAT
files.

I've looked in ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat and there's a lot more
there! I don't know what it means, but there's no DAT. (see below)

Any chance that one of those DAT files had audio/video media inside?

Linux is not an extension driven system.

You can change the extension on, say, a pdf to anything you
want, but linux will still know its a pdf.