Re: [opensuse] Default Connect Timeouts on Sockets...
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:17:24 +0000
Rogers, Larry wrote:
I have an app that uses a canned socket library. The library just uses
connect when it attempts a connection to a socket. If the host is not there,
the timeout is up to 2 minutes. The app I am working on will only run on a
local isolated network, so it does not have any need for a long timeout.

I cannot recode the library, so would like to turn down this default to a
much smaller value.

I don't know whether there's a way to do that but another approach might
be to create your own socket, set a short timeout on it, try to connect,
close the connection, and only try the library if your attempt was
successful.

I have looked through the documentation and searched help, but I can find
nothing there on the matter. I did find something from 2001 on syncookies,
but am not sure that applies anymore.

Cheers, Dave