Re: [opensuse] Monitoring my Linux logs
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:47:06 -0700
Dirk Moolman wrote:
We are in the process of building our own scripts to monitor all our
systems (operating systems, databases, network, etc.)

My question is around Linux. We want to monitor the main linux logs. I
would appreciate some tips +ACY- ideas on this.

Our first goal is to go through the Linux log (/var/log/messages), and
grep out problem areas / errors, but this can be tricky, eg. what do you
grep for ?

What is the industry standard - how do you guys +ACY- girls do this ?

There are lots of industry standards, depending on budget. But you have
no budget so its a moot point.

We are moving to hobbit for this sort of monitoring -

hobbit.sf.net

Joe