Re: [opensuse] Missing drives
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:13:04 -0400
Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Tuesday 11 March 2008 21:56, Sam Clemens wrote:
Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Monday 10 March 2008 20:49, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/03/10 20:40 (GMT-0400) Doug McGarrett apparently typed:
On Monday 10 March 2008 20:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2008-03-10 at 18:28 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
I have a floppy
So do we all. What's the problem? :-?
Let's try again: I have a floppy, a CD reader, and a cd writer.
SuSE 9.3.
Surely there must be some reason why you're announcing this to a few
thousand people. Maybe you should share it too.
I don't know why the message is being truncated. I will attempt to
finish it here. The system refuses to see these drives. It certainly
saw the CD reader when I installed Linux. Help!
Removable media drives THEMSELVES do not "show up"

What "shows up" are filesystems on disks inserted into
these drives.

Hope that helps.

It doesn't really. A blank floppy or CD will not have a filesystem on it.

Correct.

However, a music CD will not have a "filesystem" on it, but it should be

Actually, it does.
How do you think the data on the music CD is organized?

recognised and playable, but it is not, here.

> If a disk drive is not
recognized by the system, how do you know what its drive number or name would be?

Generally, the device files (in /dev) are present regardless
of whether the any hardware is present or not.

Of course, if you only have one floppy, then it's FD0, but if you have various drives, then what?

It all depends on what the drives are?
are they IDE or SCSI... or SATA?
And is your kernel using IDE -> SCSI mapping?

--dm