[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-offtopic] Hard drive problem & data recovery
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:47:51 -0400
Keith Roberts wrote:

My server's hard drive has gone down today. It's a WD 80GB.

on-topic threads are off-topic on the off-topic lists...
moving to the on-topic list

I have the following logical partitions on it:

databases
websites
home
var-log

I did make some backups on another drive. But I did not make any backups of php-debuggers.net website :(

The said drive has been giving me some S.M.A.R.T. messages recently. The other two WD 80 GB drives are OK.

Is there any way to get my website code back from the dead?

Possibly

Could I disable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring for that faulty drive, and then copy the required files over to another drive?

You won't know unless you try.

What about the freezer treatment for the hard drive? Would that work? If so, how long to leave it in the freezer?

Again, the most accurate answer comes from you giving
it a try. Nobody here claims to be omniscient.

I seem to remember someone on the list using a certain type of low-level copy program that recovered all their data from a faulty drive. Can anyone else remeber what that was please?

That would be the dd command.

The manual page is quite self-explanatory... BUT
you will need partitions with enough free space to
hold the partition images when you copy them over.

So, step #1, go out and buy a new drive.

Step #2...when you see a disk drive giving you errors,
replace it BEFORE it fails.

I'm on my main server now, and have replaced the faulty drive with a low-capacity 9GB drive. It has the same partition layout, so I did not have to modify my /etc/fstab to get the machine booted up.