Re: [opensuse] Missing drives
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:39:35 -0400
Doug McGarrett wrote:
On Monday 10 March 2008 20:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2008-03-10 at 18:28 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
I have a floppy
So do we all. What's the problem? :-?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Well, the floppy drive shows up in the system, media, or whatever it's called,
and I also have a CD reader, from which I installed the OS, and a CD or
DVD writer--it's been so long that I forget which--and neither of these show up on the system, and I can't read or write from/to any of them, including
the floppy. Where do I go from here?

for the floppy, first you have to insert a disk
and then format it with a filesystem:
example:
$ su -
password: <= type the root password here
# mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0

NOW that particular floppy has an ext2 filesystem on it,
and it can be mounted like this:

# mkdir /mnt/floppy
# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

But it's probably much simpler for you to just use YaST
to do these things.

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers ... for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley