Re: [opensuse] SuSefirewall - protect sshd
  • From: "Otto Rodusek (AP-SGP)" <otto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:15:03 +0800

Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 09:34:39PM +0800, Otto Rodusek (AP-SGP) wrote:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Otto Rodusek (AP-SGP) <otto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-10-08 04:16]:

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with Susefirewall. I have had a number of robot
attacks against sshd so I set the following rule in SuSefirewall to
limit the number of allowable sshd logins per 60 second period:

FW_SERVICES_ACCEPT_EXT="0/0,tcp,22,,hitcount=3,blockseconds=60,recentname=ssh"

which I assume will limit sshd logins to only 3 per 60 seconds however

look at the packages: fail2ban
denyhosts

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/SUSE_Linux_10.1
and
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/utilities/SUSE_Linux_10.1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'm familiar with both packages - however I would
like to know why the iptables command doesn't work. Regardless whether I
use the above packages, I would still like to limit the number of sshd
logins to 3 per minute. Is there a different iptables command to do that?

Drop us a mail over in opensuse-security@xxxxxxxxxxxx perhaps.

Ciao, Marcus

Thanks Marcus. Good idea - i'll do that now. Best regards. Otto Rodusek.