Re: [opensuse] Google Earth problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:10:42 +1100
Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 08 March 2008 11:03:03 pm Basil Chupin wrote:
Kai Ponte

[pruned]

Something has gone haywire because of some upgrades in the past 2 days
(at least).

glxgears is no longer working (I get an error message along the lines
that Xorg doesn't contain it, or some such) and my system has slowed
down to the point where I went to the Performance Monitor a short time
ago and found that Xorg was using up ~93% of my CPU.

I also found that when I go to Yast (or even Configure Desktop) and
bring up the details for my monitor, I get a message saying that 3-D is
not available because "Your X server is using Rand R extension at 1.2 or
greater which doesn't have any configuration yet". What the hell is this
supposed to mean?! I've had 3-D for years (with my nVidia card and
driver) - and looking at what "RandR" is about doesn't mean a fig to me.

Instead of going forward I feel that some parts of openSUSE are going
backwards.

Ciao.

What you have as graphic adapter?

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-171.05-pkg1.run and reboot seems to solve the problem with nvidias. (for anti-reboot guys: I know how to unload old and load new kernel driver)

I have no idea when driver version 169.12 was available as I keep Nvidia repository on manual refresh, but yesterday I updated driver and got no Xorg at all. Luckily they seem to have found goofup and have never driver, though, as shell script.

I have gone back to 169.07 (from .12) and now glxgears work and Xorg no longer uses up some 97% of CPU. Also, I am now able to Ctrl-Alt-F3 and not get logged out to the Switch User login menu.

(BTW, zypper is a damn big CPU hog - can take up to 98% of the CPU! Sheesh!)

Ciao.

--
It's not possible to operate honestly using a basis of dishonesty.