Re: [opensuse] NV driver and 1680x1050
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:21:12 +1100
Ciro Iriarte wrote:
2008/3/7, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> Hi, i'm trying to get 1680x1050 resolution on Opensuse 10.3 with a LG
> L203WT LCD monitor. The problem is i get a maximum of 1280x1024, AND
> stretched....
>
> When i use the binary driver I can workaround this using the option
> "ModeValidation" set to "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck", but doesn't seem
> to exist a similar setting for the nv driver...
>
> Also, the cli access (vt1, vt2, etc..) looks wrong... I'm not sure if
> it's because of the xen kernel or because of the video driver...
>
> Ciro

Go to YaST/Hardware/Monitor and select the item "-->LCD" then select the
screen size.

To get the nVidia driver to work I suggest that you compile it for the
kernel you have installed.

(Also, suggest that you connect the monitor using the digital cable and
not the analog cable.)

Ciao.

I want to use the nv driver, not the nvidia driver....

This is totally up to you. What I stated equally applies to the nv driver.

I've chosen the
right LCD from the list, then tried using the driver disk that came
with the monitor, it's all fine apparently but the resolution doesn't
go above 1280x1024...

Then why not just try what I suggested and let Yast install the default driver for the monitor (and don't install the driver from the driver disk - which is probably where the problem comes from).

I suggest that you DELETE the current monitor in Yast then INSTALL it as a new hardware AND either-

* let Yast "find" your monitor and install its driver for it (but do NOT use your driver disk); or

* as I suggested, select the "-->LCD" entry and then select the 1680x1050 (?Hz) resolution.

Reason why I am suggesting to delete the monitor is to make sure that the xorg.conf file gets recreated (and the old one replaced) with the new settings for your monitor.

Oh, forgot to ask this question: does your video card support the widescreen resolution of 1680x1050? Perhaps this is why you can only get the standard 4:3 resolution of 128x1024.

Ciao.

--
It's not possible to operate honestly using a basis of dishonesty.