Re: [opensuse] X protocol - X Window System questions
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:32:09 +0200
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 08 March 2008 01:04:17 Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1. When working locally (KDE desktop), does KDE renders into local X
> server via UDP port 6000, or it uses DRI, or some other means ? -in
> short, does it uses loopback networking?

No, by default X never uses a network connection when the connection is to
the
local machine. It is done over a socket

In fact, by default, X doesn't listen to any network interface at all, that's
something you have to enable manually

> 2. Does X protocol allows 1 "X client" application to be rendered on
> two X servers on two terminals at once?

I don't think there is anything built into the protocol to handle that, but
in
principle it should be possible to write something like an X proxy that sends
the displays to multiple x servers. kind of like an X multiplexer

I have heard that NoMachine's NX 3.0 (new X protocol) can handle it,
which means, that future
FreeNX server (included with openSUSE) will also be able to do it.

Thanks-a-lot.
--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"