Re: [opensuse] 3945ABG vs 4965AGN
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:01:54 +0100
On Friday 07 March 2008 18:42:30 Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Friday 07 March 2008 09:12, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:
On Friday 07 March 2008 11:49:05 am Randall R Schulz wrote:
FDE: "Full Drive Encryption" (hardware based)

Not to be confused with:

FDB: "Fluid Dynamic Bearing"

Presumably the drive-integrated encryption requires specific driver
software to be exploited. There seems to be quite a bit on the Web,
but I know very little about this area.

Thanks Randall,

So probably it's better not to risk and go with 160Gb 7200rpm? I
don't understand why they don't have 200GB without that encryption...

Well, it seems there are two possibilities _if_ there is no Linux
support for the FDE:

1) The full-drive encryption is simply unavailable.
2) The drive cannot be accessed at all.

But I can neither tell you which of these would be the case nor that
Linux does in fact lack support for this capability.

As far as I know, FDE works on the hardware level, it should be completely
transparent to the OS

When you start the machine, you get to enter a password for the encryption. If
it is correct, it will then work just like a normal unencrypted drive. If it
is incorrect, you will not be able to use the drive (even to the point where
you can't even install over what was originally there)

So the question of linux support should be moot

Anders
--
Madness takes its toll