Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Paul Ollion <pollion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:36:13 +0100
On Thursday 06 March 2008 16:30, Oddball wrote:
Paul Ollion schreef:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 21:05, Oddball wrote:
Paul Ollion schreef:
On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:41, Monkey 9 wrote:
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:
> I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows
> free PC, mainly for office work and I would like to know your
> opinion about the following config proposed by the retailer to be
> sure there will be no unsolvable problems with openSuSE 10.2
> or10.3
>
> Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
> Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
> DDR Go
> HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a
slightly older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

Understand that Asus motherboards have a good reputation, but that
Asus the company does not,

Agreed on the Asus the company issue.

We are putting together a PO for a replacement set of machines at
work. We suggested Asus to the integrator and they highly
recommended we go with Intel instead due to maintenance and support
issues.

FYI: My post about having to tweak voltage levels of the RAM related
to a couple different Asus MBs we have here.

Greg

Indeed, Asus has very bad support, in that sense that they have a
rather strange system to report your problem, and it takes much too
long before you have the solution that fits.
Elite has good boards,
M9.

Thanks Felix, Greg and M9

Your three advices are unanimous to make me avoid Asus products because
of their bad support.
That's what I will do and I am now examining Elite boards.

Regards.

Take your time, as you will likely use your "new' PC for some time..
and let us know what you went for.. ;)

M9.

Thanks M9

My retailer cannot provide Elite motherboards, but we found an MSI one
with a Intel chipset that could do instead. it has all the modern usual
connectors and Is interesting for us with the presence of parrallel
and serial ports which will allow the employment of some old printers and
mice.
I hope there will not be any major problems with it.but will it run
under openSuSE 10.2 or shall we have to use 10.3 ?

The card type is MSI - 945 GCM5-f V2

it has Intel chipset 945 GC - ICH 7 for USB, SATA, bus master, IDE,
PCI, ACPI2

Hi Paul,

They both won't likely be any problem, sometimes it is wise to look what
kind a videocard you want/can use (if there is one onboard with shared
ram, look at the max share size.
These onboard cards usualy run instantly, but if you want 'heavy
gaming', or extensive 'cad' use, you should need the more the better,
and if the board supports dual channel ram, that would be swell.)

Thanks M9
I forgot to mention the video controller is Intel GMA 950 I suppose it is
enough for office use and viewing some DVDs
--
Paul Ollion
Proud Linux user SuSE 10.2