Re: [opensuse] gfortran (?) problem
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:35:16 +0100
Joseph Comfort schreef:
I have spent a lot of time trying to identify the source of a failure,
and I need help.

I have been using a fairly large and complex program for many years. In
short, it is based on the Cernlib files (for those who know), with the
code and scripts adjusted to handle both 32-bit and 64-bit processors
and both g77 or gfortran. I have been able to get my applications to
work fine up through SuSE 10.2.

In SuSE 10.3, my major application segfaults at the beginning, when only
a limited amount of initialization has been done. I still have some
10.2 machines available. Everything works with both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions. At the moment, I only have 64-bit machines with 10.3. I have
run strace and valgrind. I see things that differ between codes that
work and codes that don't, but I am not able to discern what might be
the problem -- it's beyond me.

It is not easy or possible to produce a test file that would isolate the
problem. I am using a very small user main program, but it links to
libraries that have very complex generation scripts. There is all kinds
of memory management going on in the stuff that is failing (through
Fortran and C) but, as noted above, it seems to be fine under SuSE 10.2
and earler. The gfortran for SuSE 10.2 is 4.1.2. I have tried both
4.1.2 and 4.2.1 in SuSE 10.3; both lead to failures.

My basic question is: what got changed in going from 10.2 to 10.3,
either in gfortran/gcc or in various libraries? (I had to change my
link list of system libraries to get an executable,) Any hints as to
how I might track down the problems (valgrind or whatever) would be
appreciated.

I may not stay subscribed for long, so please be sure any responses go
to the list.

Thank you,
Joe Comfort
Joseph.Comfort@xxxxxxx

They dropped that one, the fortran 43 is used now....

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (Now or never...)

Besturingssysteem: Linux 2.6.24.1-6-default x86_64
Current user: oddball@AMD64x2-sfn1
System: openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha2
KDE: 4.0.1 (KDE 4.0.1) "release 20"