Re: [opensuse] Difference between Main Repository (OSS) and OSS
  • From: "Benji Weber" <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:58:43 +0000

Hi,

When I installed restricted media formats one-click-install, it
requiered to add Main Repository (OSS) to my repositories.
What is the difference between
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:10.3/standard
and
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss

They are the same, remove one of them. YaST -> community repositories
will use the former URL, as will the YMP (one click install) files on
software.opensuse.org.

libzypp provides no way of determining whether two repositories are
identical - so the one click install handler currently just checks:

- The URL
- The Name
- The Alias

If all 3 pieces of information are different it re-adds it, which is not ideal.

It would be best if there were a way to detect duplicate repositories
and add the new URL as a mirror instead. At the moment there is not
even a unique identifier in the repository metadata though. The only
identifying feature is the metadata checksum, and to compare this one
would have to refresh all the local repositories first.

--
Benjamin Weber