Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Monkey 9 <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:41:05 +0100
Greg Freemyer schreef:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:

> I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows free PC, mainly
> for office work and I would like to know your opinion about the following
> config proposed by the retailer to be sure there will be no unsolvable
> problems with openSuSE 10.2 or10.3
>
> Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
> Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
> DDR Go
> HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a slightly
older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

Understand that Asus motherboards have a good reputation, but that Asus the
company does not, which is important if you ever need support from it. Its
web site seems to get frequent redesigns by people who have no understanding
of usability, which often makes finding things like manuals and BIOS updates
difficult or impossible. Downloads are normally SLOW, because Asus seems to
like to bunch unrelated files in large archives even though what one actually
needs may only be a few kb in size.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070610141850/mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html

Agreed on the Asus the company issue.

We are putting together a PO for a replacement set of machines at
work. We suggested Asus to the integrator and they highly recommended
we go with Intel instead due to maintenance and support issues.

FYI: My post about having to tweak voltage levels of the RAM related
to a couple different Asus MBs we have here.

Greg
Indeed, Asus has very bad support, in that sense that they have a rather strange system to report your problem, and it takes much too long before you have the solution that fits.
Elite has good boards, and a good service, excelent manuals, and easy to find drivers and bios updates, for all models they ever made.
They shine on very small boards, atx, with all on board.
The newest have one hdd/dvd ide slot, one floppy ide, and two sata.
They have all on board, but extra pci express for video card, and two slots for other, if you want an extra soundcard or whatever.
They support both AMD and Intel, and are not particularly expensive, certainly if one looks on the net to compare prices.

M9.