Re: [opensuse] Advice on new hardware
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:26:46 -0500
On 2008/03/04 14:56 (GMT+0100) Paul Ollion apparently typed:

I am considering the purchase of a not too expensive windows free PC, mainly
for office work and I would like to know your opinion about the following
config proposed by the retailer to be sure there will be no unsolvable
problems with openSuSE 10.2 or10.3

Motherboard : Asus P5GC-MX/775
Processor Intel Pentium IV-641, 3.2 Ghz /S 775 - 2 Mo
DDR Go
HDD 80 Go 7200 rps SATA 8 Mo

I have no experience with that product. I did install 10.3 on a slightly
older P5GD1-VM just last Friday.

Understand that Asus motherboards have a good reputation, but that Asus the
company does not, which is important if you ever need support from it. Its
web site seems to get frequent redesigns by people who have no understanding
of usability, which often makes finding things like manuals and BIOS updates
difficult or impossible. Downloads are normally SLOW, because Asus seems to
like to bunch unrelated files in large archives even though what one actually
needs may only be a few kb in size.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070610141850/mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html

--
"Let us not love with words or in talk only.
Let us love by what we do." 1 John 3:18 NLV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409