Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: "Mark Van De Vyver" <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:13:46 +1100
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 03 March 2008 07:48:23 pm Basil Chupin wrote:
> Per Jessen wrote:
> > You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
> > problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
> > quickly sum up -
>
> [pruned]

I read your summary. All I can suggest is to look for 'lost ticks' in
/var/log/messages and the boot log. There is a kernel boot parameter
you must nominate to report these, there is also a mcelog parameter
that might give some info. Can't recall the exact parameters off the
top of my head, but if you haven't already tried these it might be
worth a shot?

HTH?

> > And the machine still crashes under load - even just a little bit. I
> > run two copies of mprime, plus firefox and such, and after 15-20
> > minutes, I get the automatic reboot.
>
> [pruned]
>
> Out of (personal) curiosity, why do you run 2 copies of mprime for these
> tests? Wouldn't the one copy do?

From readme.txt (mprime2414.tar.gz) :

To fully utilize a dual-CPU machine, you must run two copies of
mprime. Run one copy of mprime as described above. Run the second
copy of mprime with the -A1 switch. Make sure your startup scripts
start both executables.

-An This is used to run two or more copies of mprime
from the same directory. Using this command line argument
causes mprime to use a different set of filenames for the
INI files, the results file, the log file, and the spool file.
Just use a different value of n for each extra copy of
mprime you start.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal