Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:52:14 -0600
Per Jessen wrote:
You will undoubtedly remember the discussion about the stability
problems on my new workstation from a couple of weeks ago. I'll
quickly sum up -

Vividly,

Per, I have solved the Gigabyte GA-n700sl instability. I routinely memtest86+ the memory when I do a new install. I was running 2G of ocz Platinum memory that I tested 6 months ago and it was clean. After replacing everything in the system to try and resolve the issue (hard drive had to be replaced - unrecoverable disk error) I have memtest again, just to make sure. Both sticks were reporting errors. Memory was probably 2 years old, but I called ocz, they issued an RMA, and the RAM is being replaced at no cost. In the interim, I purchased 2 more gig of the exact same ocz memory and memtested it before booting. The new RAM was clean confirming the old had indeed failed.

That was the 1st time in 17 years that I had ever had ram just "go bad". So double check the ram with memtest86+

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC