[opensuse] User profile management
  • From: Andreas <maps.on@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 06:33:49 +0100
Hi,

I've got an old PC that's called server which runs SuSE 9.3.
Basically it's a samba file server for 5 Windows clients.
It "knowes" every user so that they can access Samba. There is no local user access besides that.
Up until now I configured all our (few) users on every PC so that they could ... well ... roam would be a rather big word.

Would it be possible keep all profile infos on the server and let Windows (2000) grab it on login-time from the server?

Actually it's like that. I talked to a buddy on weekend who is currently starting a new business.
He'll have within a year 25-50 desktop workplaces with very limited needs. It might end up with a browser that runs a web-based application. So I boldly proposed a pure Linux play.

Some other guy - who advised him in IT stuff until now - told him that he needed a Windows small business server to host Active Directory and an Exchange server plus MS-SQL.

Could someone point me to a Howto for windows-profile management with Linux?
A nice groupware for mail, adresses and dates would be handy, too.
The database should be PostgreSQL, I guess.