Re: [opensuse] OCR and batches
  • From: Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:08:44 +0100
Adam Tauno Williams skrev:
Does anybody know of a way to scan several thousands pictures on disk
with an OCR application to look for a specific text, and then list the
images where that text was found?
I've been doing apps like that for the better part of twelve years. However, I've yet to see an OCR app in Linux. That doesn't mean they don't exist, however, because I'm stuck in a predominantly windows world at work. I know we currently either use OCR For Anydocs or Kofax Ascent. In fact, we're looking at replacing our current systems in the next few years.

There are multiple OCR solutions for Linux:
http://jocr.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tesseract-ocr/
http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html
http://www.geocities.com/claraocr/

I've only ever used gOCR [http://jocr.sourceforge.net/] it worked well
enough to develop keyword indexes for images.  It does not work well
enough (and I've never seen an OCR package that does, commercial or
otherwise) to turn images into readable text.

That's just about what I'm off to do, I'm looking to read the photgraphers name from the images. I'll take a look at gOCR. Thanks!
--

Anders Norrbring
Norrbring Consulting