Re: [opensuse] Recommended by Microsoft
  • From: Peter Bradley <P.Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:31:24 +0000
Ysgrifennodd Jan Karjalainen:
JB wrote:
On 07 March 07 13:06, Peter Bradley wrote:

I've tried to ignore the business of Novell's agreement with MS, but today Novell wrote to me offering a free seminar on SUSE Linux Enterprise 10. In their email they inform me that SUSE is, "The only Linux recommended by Microsoft". Are they deliberately trying to annoy me?

Are you serious!? It actually said that!? That's just...*wrong*. It utterly disgusts me.

Anyway, I've written back and told them that I would never buy anything that came recommended by Microsoft.

Now that I've read what they did above, Novell isn't getting a penny from me again either. I've used SuSE since 7.3
Are you guys for real? What if Novell does business with Microsoft? Does it make ground for boycott?
What about USA? If you don't agree with Bush/Iraq war/secret CIA prisons/whatever, you better boycott USA too!
Oh, wait... Novell makes great products, I don't care who or what they do business with (as long as it's not illegal or immoral).
Should you boycott USA too? Oh, many of you live there..! What to do...?
I don't like Bush/Iraq war/secret CIA prisons/whatever, but I don't blast every american I see because of that.
The world is not Black and White, as some make it to look like!
My recommendation is to GROW UP and stop this childish rant or at least take it to the OT list!!!

/JK
Erm. Excuse me, but your reaction appears to me to be the only hysterical one around here.

But since you obviously missed the point of what was being said, let me explain it for you.

I do not object to Novell doing business with Microsoft. No-one has said that. Heck, *I* do business with Microsoft when I have to. What I took exception to was the Novell marketing people telling me that SUSE Linux was, "The only Linux recommended by Microsoft". Many of us came to Linux in an attempt to get away from Microsoft. What does a recommendation like that in an email to my personal account say about Novell's knowledge of their customers?

OK, so you may be happy to buy the things MS recommends. That's your choice. My choice is not to, whenever I have that choice. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, Novell - by attaching that inflammatory sentence in their email - lost themselves at least one paying customer.

And yes I do try to avoid doing anything that might support the Iraq war, when I can.

Now, if you don't like any of that, that's really your problem; but I would appreciate it if you would stop shouting. It's not nice.

Peter