Re: [opensuse] Re: Win vs Lin info
  • From: Russell Jones <russell.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:27:50 +0000
John Summerfield wrote:
On Tuesday 27 February 2007 23:58, Russell Jones wrote:
Well, not as tidy as AD (nor, I suspect, as difficult to diagnose when
it goes wrong) is to use something like AutoYaST to roll out software
and configuration packages (which you roll yourself). Far more powerful
than the MS mandated and controlled policy system, though you can do
similar things with MSIs and the MS package distribution system (SMS is
it?).

At this point, the battle's over. One can control pretty much every aspect of
I guess you'd better stop using Linux-based systems then. What an odd thing to say... I'm sure there's room for improvement, but there is no reason why windows cannot be displaced. Granted, it may be hard (though I don't think it is in many cases), but it's far from impossible, especially if Linux-based systems are being used on the desktop. Which is what we're talking about AFAIAA.

As for institutions not rolling out FF, that's not true. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:2.0_Institutional_Deployment
Again, it may be harder (I'd say less convenient in this case), but it's far from impossible. Of course, rolling out to Windows desktops, they use AD. But AD being a requirement to fully utilise windows desktops was an inevitable and predictable part of MS' server and lock-in strategies. If the roll out were to Linux desktops the same functionality is certainly possible, though probably harder.