Re: [opensuse] Kaffeine/DVD
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:08:34 -0600
Jim Sabatke wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>> "The source can't be read.
>> Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain
>> data (e.g: no disc in drive). (Error reading from DVD.)"
>>
>> When I try to watch some DVD's in Kaffeine I get the above error
>> message. [ Region 1] [ 10.2 ] It seems that the ones that do this open
>> to a folder called video_ts in Konq. Inside the folder are what I assume
>> are the movie files [ ifo, bup, and vob files ] Konq just lists them as
>> type:unknown.
>>

> <snip>
>
> I've been having this problem with kaffeine for as long as I've used
> it, going back to probably 9.0. I've downloaded all the sources and
> recompiled and nothing seems to fix it. I usually get the error
> somewhere in the middle of a movie and it's pretty consistent where
> it happens. I'm on 10.1 now and still have the same problem. I just
> reinsert the DVD and skip past the 'bad' spot. I'm beginning to
> suspect a data quality DVD player is less forgiving to dirt and
> surface abnormalities than a TV grade one.
>
> Jim
I'm sure some will disagree with me, but...........................

My DVD problems all seemed to evaporate when I "updated" the kernel. I
already had all the usual stuff done but still no joy. Updated the
kernel and it all started to work.

When I wiped it and started over the first thing I did was install the
newer kernel. Then all the usual changes [ libdvdcss, Kaffeine from
Packman, etc ]. popped in a commercial movie DVD and bingo, up and
running without a hitch.

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh