Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice 2.0.4, should one upgrade?
  • From: Jay Smith <susehelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:01:53 -0800

>LinuxWorld: Other parts of the deal -- was there anything in there that was
>actually relevant to improving interoperability between --?
>
>Allison: No, I’m sorry. I know what you’re going to ask. I mean that part I
>found amusing rather than anything else because the whole point of it was
>saying that, oh, we’re going to improve interoperability. But if you look at
>it closely, I think it covers some very specific federated directory things,
>which essentially very few people in the world actually care about.
>
>What people really want is a second source Active Directory replacement. Let’s
>just say Novell was doing interesting work. That’s what Samba 4 is about, and
>they’re always doing a lot of interesting work there. But people who think
>that Microsoft will now give the information that is needed in order to do
>that to Novell just because of this deal are delusional. What you have to
>think about is that essentially Microsoft has been fighting tooth and nail
>not to give away any of this information to free software projects. So, they
>may think that just because they signed some patent cross licensing deal with
>Novell -- even though Microsoft really, really wanted the patent cross
>licensing deal, just because they signed that, do you think they’re going to
>give away stuff that they essentially have fought absolutely and completely
>against the EU and paid billions of dollars in fines to avoid. So, no, that’s
>not going to happen.
>
>Read full article here:
>http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/c11627ed-d99b-49d2-983d-d22856181888.html

That is around what I meant, in terms of servers. No Microsoft would never ever,
or at least not for a while, make it to where Linux and Microsft were 100%
compatible. I meant on a server side. It is hard for businesses to have a Linux
and Windows server and some don't have the time to learn SAMBA that some of us
would. Hence companies like Centeris existing.

I think the virtualization thing is a stretch for both MS and Novell but we'll
see how it happens. I find it interesting that they opt to use XEN Instead of
like, VMWare.