Re: [opensuse] Aircards and Linux.
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:02:12 -0600
Jay Smith wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was just thinking about this. You know those aircards you can get from your
> cellphone provider and be able to connect to the internet using the cellphone
> network. Anyways, has anyone tried to use one under Linux? Maybe you know the
> theory behind it or something. I think it's treated like a PPP dial-up but I am
> not sure. Any thoughts?

I can't speak for Sprints aircard but in our area the Cingular/ATT
aircard sucks. Very poor connection speeds and spotty service area. When
we had it hooked up the mouse pointer on the laptop computer would run
wild and start any application it ran across. Putting a metal plate
between the aircard antenna and the laptop solved that issue but was
VERY clumsy.

We actually had better luck using the connection cable for the phone and
using the phone as an external modem.

YMMV

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)