Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse 10.2 can not install
  • From: Danesh Daroui <Danesh.D@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:04:07 +0100
Sunny wrote:
On 2/14/07, Danesh Daroui <Danesh.D@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You are right. Sorry, I am not that silly, but I think the information

The "silly", or actually the "incompetent" in my signature is just for
fun with my friends. Sorry if I offended you or somebody else.

1. I saw a very cool 3D modeling which was offered in OpenSuse where the
user could see other windows by rotating a cube. It was very cool but I
think it is available only in KDE. I am more comfortable with GNOME. Is
it available in GNOME too?

AFAIK, this should work with gnome. The name is compwiz, read on
opensuse site for it.

2. How OpenSuse works with Wireless cards? I had very big problems with
Ubuntu to detect my card and at last I installed ndiswrapper, but after
a while everything began to be messy and my Wireless card didn'r work at
all! My Wireless card is Broadcom.

So far Suse was best in working with wireless cards out of the box. It
detected my laptop's Broadcom and configured it. Exceptions apply of
course.

3. As I see, OpenSuse supports RPM packages, but I think it has its own
package manager too. Am I right?

RPM is only the framework. There are a lot of package manager, which
work with that framework - rpm itself, YaST (suse's one), smart, yum,
there is also apt-get for RPMs. I use smart, but before that I used
apt-get. All are available from opensuse install cd.

Cheers

P.S. it would be nice if you start new thread on the list when you
have new questions/problems, unrelated to the previous one.

Thanks Sunny. Sure, I will start a new thread. Also, I had not seen your signature at all. I just wrote it. ;) You were very helpful. Thanks for your help.

D.