Re: [opensuse] Disable ability to switch between menu systems, how-to?
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:17:13 +0100
Onsdag 14 februar 2007 18:44 skrev M Harris:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 11:22, M Harris wrote:
> > > - but I'd really like to be able to 100% tailor the KDE menu from the
> > > very beginning. Is this what you say you're able to do..
>
> This is of course theoretically possible---absolutely. Most everything in
> Linux is a text file "someplace". (unlike windoze which uses binaries, ini
> files, and other hidden evil)
> You can make kde "look like" and "behave like" anything you want simply by
> altering several text files with your favorite text editor. (I still prefer
> vi but that is OT and completely another discussion) Suse has made kde
> look and feel like a well organized integrated homogeneous product that has
> a specific "Suse Aura". You could take a default kde built (and I would
> recommend that actually) and customize it so that it had your own look and
> feel... from scratch if you will.
> Suse went a step further and customized *customizing applications* like
> (yast, sax2, control panel specifics, system etc) which all integrate well
> with their own look and feel of kde (another way to say this is that Suse
> has lots of hooks into their flavor of kde). If you want to customize kde
> for your own complete look and feel, you would do better to start with the
> default kde from sources and build from there. IMHO.
>

> --
> Kind regards,
>
> M Harris <><

- thank you for your answers. They are of great help!
- curiosity...yes. I don't want to maintain two menus, just one :-)
- I see your point depicted by the van analogy...
- I wish to use KDE due to all its eye candy. After all, the users are
students from zero grade to 10th. grade.

Never mind, thanks a lot for your answers!
I'm off to it.