Re: [opensuse] pcHDTV HD-5500 - HDTV for your Linux desktop
  • From: Bill Anderson <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:08:54 -0700
jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed February 14 2007 9:25 am, JB scratched these words onto a coconut shell, hoping for an answer:
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 06:35, Clayton wrote:
"The HD-5500 is a HDTV tuner card, that recieves free over the
high-def broadcasts, as well as unencrypted QAM through your
local cable provider. The included xine-hd program allows for the
user to watch HDTV in a window. Screenshots are available to see
what the card can do. This card is available only for Linux."

http://lunapark6.com/?p=2992
Nice. shame it's NTSC and ATSC only though. I was all ready to
buy one... and then realized... no PAL, No DVB-S, C, or T... so
those of us who live outside of the US, Canada, South Korea,
Argentina, and Mexico are out of luck with this particular card.
We're out of luck here in the states too if one can't get cable out
in the woods :-(

Depends, can you get "regular" thru the air telly from your local stations? Newsweek had a story about folks being able to get their local stations HD broadcasts w/ "rabbit ears" type antennae .

That has thrown a monkey wrench into the local folks plans to charge "plenty money" for those broadcasts.. but it seems you don't need anything else.
Wish I could remember the cite. But, it was in the dead tree version , last week or the one before. ( I read it at the hairdresser's ) There might be something on their website. ( Newsweek)
There is rural, and there is rural. Where I live, the nearest cable system is 23 miles away. The nearest HDTV station is 60 miles away. To get a local station requires antenna on a tower to get over the hill. In the winter, I get a better signal by turning the antenna 180 degrees and take the bounce of the mountain. Satellite is the only reasonably reliable option for television and Internet. When I asked the phone company about DSL, the response was "in which lifetime do you want this?" Cell phones require an external antenna. I am use a wireless cell amplifier that boosts the signal through a yagi antenna.

Bill Anderson