Re: [opensuse] Disable ability to switch between menu systems, how-to?
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:44:39 -0600
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 11:22, M Harris wrote:
> > - but I'd really like to be able to 100% tailor the KDE menu from the
> > very beginning. Is this what you say you're able to do..
This is of course theoretically possible---absolutely. Most everything in
Linux is a text file "someplace". (unlike windoze which uses binaries, ini
files, and other hidden evil)
You can make kde "look like" and "behave like" anything you want simply by
altering several text files with your favorite text editor. (I still prefer
vi but that is OT and completely another discussion) Suse has made kde look
and feel like a well organized integrated homogeneous product that has a
specific "Suse Aura". You could take a default kde built (and I would
recommend that actually) and customize it so that it had your own look and
feel... from scratch if you will.
Suse went a step further and customized *customizing applications* like
(yast, sax2, control panel specifics, system etc) which all integrate well
with their own look and feel of kde (another way to say this is that Suse has
lots of hooks into their flavor of kde). If you want to customize kde for
your own complete look and feel, you would do better to start with the
default kde from sources and build from there. IMHO.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><