Re: [opensuse] different wierd boot-up problem (ignore previous)
  • From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:33:30 -0600
Alexander Osthof wrote:
I run SuSE 10.2 together with MS Windows. The boot menu had OpenSUSE
10.2 as the default, then Windows and then OpenSuSE failsafe.

After installing
some files from madwifi, including three kernel files, have two new
entries on the boot menu:
First of all, I don't think madwifi requires to install those 2 new
kernels. Who or what told you to install those kernels?
They were in the relevant directory and I could find no instructions or
advice as to what to load and what not to load. I knew that one of the
kernel patches had to be installed, but had no idea as to what the
availability of the other kernel variants contributed. Indeed, I wrote
to a listserv (or was it a newsgroup?) asking just this question, and
received no answer.

Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-bigsmp
Some people are confused by the differences between the SMP and BIGSMP
kernels included in SUSE Linux, and which one to use for their system. A
quick look at the build configuration for both kernels shows several
differences, but the most significant involves the supported amount of
RAM and number of CPUs.

The SMP kernel contains the following parameters:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32

==> Thus allowing a maximum of 4G RAM and 32 processors.

The BIGSMP kernel, however, has these:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=128

Enabling support for 64G memory and 128 processors.

==> If a system has either more than 4G RAM or more than 32 processors,
the BIGSMP kernel must be used to fully utilize the system.
The system would not boot on the bigsmp kernel, but selecting it only
caused the computer to reboot back to the system-selection screen

Jep, that's right. Since I assume you are running a 32bit system with less than 4GB of RAM you won't need and must not use a bigsmp kernel. Your (installed) kernel-default is the one you want to use.

If there are patches you have to apply, then download or install the sources of the kernel-default and apply the required patches on those sources. Then build and install this (modified) kernel.

In your case, just deinstall those 2 wrong kernels (bigsmp and xen) by typing

"rpm -e kernel-bigsmp"
and
"rpm -e kernel-xen"

if you have installed them with rpm or yast.

After installing madwifi using Yast, I got an update message from my in Zen icon at the lower right part of the screen (KDE). Delighted that it was finally doing something (I had found updates using Yast that weren't noted by Zen), I told Zen to go ahead and correct things. I may have complicated matters a mite. When I did as you suggested, I got error messages:

# rpm -e kernel-xen
error: Failed dependencies:
kernel(vmlinux) = 44ebeb27f25f7b59 is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-xen-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
kernel(vmlinux) = 93376bd16ab33bbc is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-xenpae-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
kernel-xen is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-xen-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586

#rpm -e kernel-bigsmp
error: Failed dependencies:
kernel(vmlinux) = bb95ba9d667bafff is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-bigsmp-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
kernel(vmlinux) = 93376bd16ab33bbc is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-xenpae-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586
kernel-bigsmp is needed by (installed) madwifi-kmp-bigsmp-0.9.2.1_2.6.18.2_34-0.1.i586

So, do I just leave the tangle as is?

If there are any questions left, feel free to ask.

I probably will when I get my new WiFi card and try to install it :|

--
Best regards,

Dennis J. Tuchler
7330 Kingsbury Boulevard