Re: [opensuse] different wierd boot-up problem (ignore previous)
  • From: Alexander Osthof <aosthof@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:56:11 +0100
> Alexander Osthof wrote:
> >> I run SuSE 10.2 together with MS Windows. The boot menu had OpenSUSE
> >> 10.2 as the default, then Windows and then OpenSuSE failsafe.
> >>
> >> After installing
> >> some files from madwifi, including three kernel files, have two new
> >> entries on the boot menu:
> >
> > First of all, I don't think madwifi requires to install those 2 new
> > kernels. Who or what told you to install those kernels?
>
> They were in the relevant directory and I could find no instructions or
> advice as to what to load and what not to load. I knew that one of the
> kernel patches had to be installed, but had no idea as to what the
> availability of the other kernel variants contributed. Indeed, I wrote
> to a listserv (or was it a newsgroup?) asking just this question, and
> received no answer.
>
> >> Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-bigsmp
> >
> > Some people are confused by the differences between the SMP and BIGSMP
> > kernels included in SUSE Linux, and which one to use for their system. A
> > quick look at the build configuration for both kernels shows several
> > differences, but the most significant involves the supported amount of
> > RAM and number of CPUs.
> >
> > The SMP kernel contains the following parameters:
> >
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
> > CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32
> >
> > ==> Thus allowing a maximum of 4G RAM and 32 processors.
> >
> > The BIGSMP kernel, however, has these:
> >
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
> > CONFIG_NR_CPUS=128
> >
> > Enabling support for 64G memory and 128 processors.
> >
> > ==> If a system has either more than 4G RAM or more than 32 processors,
> > the BIGSMP kernel must be used to fully utilize the system.
>
> The system would not boot on the bigsmp kernel, but selecting it only
> caused the computer to reboot back to the system-selection screen

Jep, that's right. Since I assume you are running a 32bit system with less
than 4GB of RAM you won't need and must not use a bigsmp kernel. Your
(installed) kernel-default is the one you want to use.

If there are patches you have to apply, then download or install the sources
of the kernel-default and apply the required patches on those sources. Then
build and install this (modified) kernel.

In your case, just deinstall those 2 wrong kernels (bigsmp and xen) by typing

"rpm -e kernel-bigsmp"
and
"rpm -e kernel-xen"

if you have installed them with rpm or yast.

> >> Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen
> >
> > A Kernel-xen is only needed if one wants to use vitualization, thus xen.
> > In your case, I don't think you want to use this kernel, unless you
> > really want to deal with virtualization.
> >
> > So, both new kernels are not needed in case you only want to get your
> > wlan run properly.
> >
> >> The last of these became the default. I changed the default back to the
> >> initial entry, but I wonder why the default changed and what these two
> >> new kernel entries are all about. I found no difference when I booted
> >> up with Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen, but when I booted with the previous
> >> kernel Kernel ... -bigsmp, the system simply rebooted.
> >
> > It's the policy in openSUSE 10.2 to make the last installed kernel the
> > default kernel (entry). Thus, if the xen kernel was installed at last, it
> > gets the new default entry (in boot menu).
> >
> >> I'd appreciate an explanation of all this.
> >
> > I hope this explanation was satisfying.
>
> I truly appreciate your information. Thank you!

You're welcome :)

> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Dennis J. Tuchler
> >> University City, Missouri 63130
> >
> > Greetings,
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Dennis J. Tuchler
> 7330 Kingsbury Boulevard
> University City, Missouri 63130

If there are any questions left, feel free to ask.

Have a nice evening,
--
Alexander Osthof R&D SI Architecture Maintenance
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr.5 D-90409 Nürnberg