Re: [opensuse] different wierd boot-up problem (ignore previous)
  • From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:27:53 -0600
Alexander Osthof wrote:
I run SuSE 10.2 together with MS Windows. The boot menu had OpenSUSE
10.2 as the default, then Windows and then OpenSuSE failsafe.

After installing
some files from madwifi, including three kernel files, have two new
entries on the boot menu:

First of all, I don't think madwifi requires to install those 2 new kernels. Who or what told you to install those kernels?
They were in the relevant directory and I could find no instructions or advice as to what to load and what not to load. I knew that one of the kernel patches had to be installed, but had no idea as to what the availability of the other kernel variants contributed. Indeed, I wrote to a listserv (or was it a newsgroup?) asking just this question, and received no answer.

Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-bigsmp

Some people are confused by the differences between the SMP and BIGSMP kernels included in SUSE Linux, and which one to use for their system. A quick look at the build configuration for both kernels shows several differences, but the most significant involves the supported amount of RAM and number of CPUs.

The SMP kernel contains the following parameters:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32

==> Thus allowing a maximum of 4G RAM and 32 processors.

The BIGSMP kernel, however, has these:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=128

Enabling support for 64G memory and 128 processors.

==> If a system has either more than 4G RAM or more than 32 processors, the
BIGSMP kernel must be used to fully utilize the system.

The system would not boot on the bigsmp kernel, but selecting it only caused the computer to reboot back to the system-selection screen

Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen

A Kernel-xen is only needed if one wants to use vitualization, thus xen. In your case, I don't think you want to use this kernel, unless you really want to deal with virtualization.

So, both new kernels are not needed in case you only want to get your wlan run properly.

The last of these became the default. I changed the default back to the
initial entry, but I wonder why the default changed and what these two
new kernel entries are all about. I found no difference when I booted
up with Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-xen, but when I booted with the previous
kernel Kernel ... -bigsmp, the system simply rebooted.

It's the policy in openSUSE 10.2 to make the last installed kernel the default kernel (entry). Thus, if the xen kernel was installed at last, it gets the new default entry (in boot menu).

I'd appreciate an explanation of all this.

I hope this explanation was satisfying.

I truly appreciate your information. Thank you!

--
Best regards,

Dennis J. Tuchler
University City, Missouri 63130