Re: [opensuse] Re: smart
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:05:20 -0800
On Wednesday 14 February 2007 06:23, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Kai Ponte wrote:
> >>
> >> I've modified the menu entry for smart --gui to run 'ldconfig &&
> >> SuSEconfig' when I quit smart. I too am waiting for a definitive answer
> >> on this. At one time i heard that the SUSE developers are working to
> >> eliminate the need to run SuSEconfig and/or that smart may gain the same
> >> capability as
> >> apt/synaptic.
> >
> > Yeah, I have no idea what those things do,
>
> ldconfig makes available new shared library versions, with new
> version numbers, that are not in /lib or in /usr/lib.
>
> SuSEconfig makes available changes in /etc/sysconfig/ in those cases
> where the programs don't read these configuration files themselves,
> but where these values are incorporated into other configuration,
> data files, or symbolic links.

Okay, well, I'm not sure then - but, I just installed the new version of Pan
0.123 today. As there isn't an RPM I did the ./configure > make >
checkinstall route.

After the first configure, Pan balked at some library I needed. I started
SMART and installed the library. I then restarted configure and it ran fine.
I was then able to install Pan from the RPM that I'd built with checkinstall.

I'm currently using SMART 0.50-1 on this machine (and I think on my others,
too).

Can I assume it ran the SUSEConfig?

> > but when I install something, it
> > is available in my menu and runs. I can also look it up in YAST.
>
> Sadly, this observation is not sufficient. ldconfig and SuSEconfig
> are needed by very few packages, mostly basic libraries and some
> server software. Nevertheless, it *IS* needed in those cases, and
> therefore I asked for it.

Understood.

--
kai