Re: [opensuse] pcHDTV HD-5500 - HDTV for your Linux desktop
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:01:46 +1100
Clayton wrote:
"The HD-5500 is a HDTV tuner card, that recieves free over the high-def
broadcasts, as well as unencrypted QAM through your local cable provider. The
included xine-hd program allows for the user to watch HDTV in a window.
Screenshots are available to see what the card can do. This card is available
only for Linux."

http://lunapark6.com/?p=2992

Nice. shame it's NTSC and ATSC only though. I was all ready to buy
one... and then realized... no PAL, No DVB-S, C, or T... so those of
us who live outside of the US, Canada, South Korea, Argentina, and
Mexico are out of luck with this particular card.

You're in Europe, right? (I'm in Australia as you know.)

Just before Christmas I bought the TechniSat card which is manufactured in Germany (www.technisat.de). This card works with Windows (the software which comes with it is Windows) but it is also supported under Linux - I use both Kaffeine and Xine with it. The HDTV is astounding (if you like that sort of thing).

The card comes in 3 flavours as I understand it - I bought the Terrestial reception one.

Cheers.