Re: [opensuse] weird firefox problem
  • From: Dan <dan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:14:15 -0600
Carl Hartung wrote:
On Tue February 13 2007 21:59, Dan wrote:
I added java support in firefox by using these instructions.

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Linux

and now when ever i open up a browser, the address bar and the page or
tab window is bouncing up and down as if it is scrolling up and down few
pixels very fast

Not quite the correct thing to do, Dan. openSUSE is an rpm-based distribution, so you should always look for the correctly packaged solution before 'rolling your own' or installing tarballs or installing binaries packaged for other/generic distributions.

First, reverse the steps you followed, above, to restore the system to it's former state. Next, drill down from the opensuse.org main page to the installation options page and locate the instructions for adding the Java installation source... add that, then launch YaST's 'Software Management' module to add the version(s) you want.

hth & regards,

Carl

Maybe i was not quite clear on what I did. I already had java installed using yast. But to get java working in firefox you need to add the plugin. Those instructions allowed me to use java in the browser. I could not access any java app in the browser without doing this. Java itself is working fine and I now have java support in firefox. I reverse my steps and the bouncing goes away, but then I have no java support in firefox. If this is the wrong way of getting this support please let me know what is the correct way.
Thanks,
Dan.