Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:35:01 -0500

> I have only one reason: the excruciatingly slow package management
> system. Overall, OpenSuse is very nice. However, it does not matter how
> nice it is if one must wait half an hour or an hour every time one does
> anything with packages. In my opinion, if the package system is
> unusable, the distro is unusable.

Well, except for the occasional failure to finish, which I then have to
fix by firing up YOU, zen has been behaving pretty well under 10.2. It
is slow, but so what? You don't have to sit there watching it. I simply
start it up, go on with whatever I'm doing, and check its progress once
in a while.

Now, if it still crippled or slowed my machine for long periods, as it
did under 10.1, I'd have a real complaint, to my way of thinking.

Of course, I do wish the repository checking were more efficient.
Almost all the time it takes is under "checking for updates" and
"checking requirements", even though it has just turned orange because
updates were available.

And WHY do I have to remember to check the automatic requirements
checking box every time? If anything, it should be the opposite --
default to checking requirements, and unchecking for the odd occasion
when it's not appropriate for some special reason.

--

John Perry