Re: [opensuse] Re: 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:24:22 -0600
On Monday 12 February 2007 11:21, Clayton wrote:
> My Linux computer runs 24x7.  Teh
> windows machines i use usually can't go a full week without needing a
> restart for some silly reason or another.
The year before I left IBM I had seven (7) linux boxes (production, backup,
and development) running for more than one year (all of them) without a
restart... they ran 24x7, never crashed, were never powered off, and were
never restarted. In fact, sometimes it can be a little risky to reboot a
machine that has been running that long (because of static dust buildup) as
the machine sometimes will not restart.

Its a good idea to vacuum out cases once per quarter (depending on dust
conditions), and machines should be restarted once or twice per year... but
at the time it was a complete novelty to be able to say to someone who has
suffered 18 BSOD this week that "oh too bad, my machines have been running 9
months, three days, 7 hours, and 22 minutes without a failure or
restart----- !" They always say something ignorant like--- "NO WAY!!

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><