[opensuse] Re: 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:14:54 +0100
Clayton wrote:
4) this stoneold "reboot" legend seemingly never goes away. However it
is mostly cited by people who did not use windows since w9x/NT4 times.
Ex. I never had a single crash on windows since w2k and I cannot recall
the last reboot I had to do because of an installtion.

I'd like to know what version of Windows you're using then. I
recently got a nice blue screen on my XP install at home. I dared
install a webcam driver - ok, you can blame that on the driver in this
case.

XP,
currently I am using an extremly slim and stripped down version that I built myself.
If you are interested, please see: http://www.nliteos.com/index.html.

As for reboots... I counted reboots needed to get my computer up and
running on XP - and I started counting after the initial install which
does several reboots. At 13 reboots, I was getting close to done. I
have to reboot after almost each and every install - especially
drivers. It's so common, that I'm pleasantly surprised when I install
some application and no reboot is needed.

ok, for install I had three reboots, then for OpenOffice, Gimp, wireshark, cygwin and anthing else. I cannot recall any one reboot.

When installing hardware, this might be different, but I never had the impression that XP needs to many reboots. In contrast, I recall NT4 and even w2k to be "reboot machines".
For sure windows needs more reboots than linux does, but does this qualify as a quality grade for an OS? I have my doubts...

I can't say that it is a stoneold legend. it's very much reality on
my computer.

So we are lucky to boot only once per day, we Linux users, aren't we?

Kind regards
Eberhard